Simplify
20 February 2011
Therapy has taught me some important lessons in life. Or maybe it's just my own realization during therapy that has led me to this conclusion. The conclusion that when things really are out of your control (not to be confused with out of control), don't sweat it. Sweating the small stuff takes all the fun out of life (I know, I've been doing this for the past year with Kasi). Everything is way more fun, and you allow yourself to be open to anything. (Cue easy breezy beautiful, Covergirl.)
This is a lot harder than it seems, and part of me isn't even sure how I accomplished this, but I know that I feel it. I feel a difference in myself, in the way I act with others, in the way I think (if we learned anything from Inception, it's that bad thoughts can grow like a weed over time, and ladies, we know most of the thoughts in our heads warrant no reason at all), in the way I work and plan my life for the next 6 months, because that's all I can really see right now. It doesn't matter what happens after that. It's too far in the future. So, we didn't get to NYC for the three day weekend. We'll go another weekend. No biggie.
(Seriously, its no biggie.)
Another thing I've known for a while and still struggle with, is the art of the doing nothing. Laying in bed all day, with your lover or with your cat, laying on the couch, staying in your PJs all day and accomplishing nothing but making the perfect grilled cheese and cup of tea. Sometimes, you need to give yourself a break. And it really is OK. (*Author's note: this is extremely hard to achieve the first time around, I found myself itching to do something, anything--get out of the house, organize something, clean my room, do the dishes. Just remember to STOP, chill, unwind, kick your feet up, and let relaxation roll over you. You will love yourself later.)
labels:
2011 Resolutions,
Reflection,
Therapy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment