Wishlist: Apartment Inspiration

06 April 2011

This post isn't exclusively dedicated to the ideas and inspiration I have found for decorating my own (soon-to-be) apartment, but moreso for my mother's day/birthday gift for my mom this year. I'm going to completely re-do her bedroom.

Well, not completely (there will be no brand new furniture or a new color on the wall), but just overall improvements with little things here and there. I just want to spruce it up, clean it up, give it back some of the lovin' it's lost over the past few years, and take care of some of the things my mother wasn't able to take care of. When you're a caretaker, the first things that fall to the wayside is any sort of organization, control, order, and time dedicated to yourself. It's so easy to lose you, especially when youre job is one of the hardest and most incredible jobs in the world, one that requires more love, energy, patience, strength, and courage than you might think you have in you. It runs you dry. My mother especially holds all of these things true, as we both took care of my Dad during his battle against cancer. It's still a fresh and tender time for her, and she hasn't mustered up the strength to tackle, organize and clean up the one very personal space of hers in the house: the bedroom she and my father shared. This is something I can help her with.

I have always thought that the bedroom is a sacred place, as I spend a lot of time in my own bedroom. It's my sanctuary; my peace. If it's a mess or super dirty, it loses this value and sends an uproar through my energy. Nothing feels right again until it's clean and organized. I cannot wait to start this project for my mom. Sometimes, it's just the little things. And this is one little thing that will have a big affect on her.

I'll be sure to post some before and after pix, too.

all images via d*s



Some of my interior design must-haves:

01.   As much as I think I love white walls and clean spaces, I love huge pops of color and crazy patterns. Maybe this is because I tend to wear mostly neutral tones and the walls in my house now are off-white. The challenge here is for these patterns and colors to actually work well together, and be in expensive.
02. 03.    Photo collages. I love a good, random selection displayed haphazardly on the wall. Big, small, b&w, mixed medias--you name it. Mismatching frames are a huge plus, too! It just gives it that extra eclectic feel I crave.
04.   Plants + flowers + flowers in old water and/or wine bottles instead of vases. These are all necessities for any room you spend a large chunk of time in. The flower in the green bottle next to the computer: already a staple of mine.
05.   I absolutely love the mudd color of the walls (similar to the color of Kasi’s bedroom now), paired with subtle pops of canary yellow from the comforter. Not to mention, the faded LOVE pillow cases. What are the chances Kasi would dig those? ;)
06. 07.   Rugs + curtains. Now these are both something I want to get into. With just one these accents (or both), they can quickly and easily transform a room with little color on the furniture, walls or artwork, into something fun, colorful and classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment