Coffeeshop Spotlight: The search for Rao's

10 December 2010

During my senior year at UMass, I wrote a feature article spotlighting two very popular coffeeshops in Amherst: Amherst Coffee and Rao's Coffee.

Personally, Rao's was always my favorite. I would spend hour after hour there writing papers, writing articles, having coffee with old friends + new friends, getting Chai to go, buying lbs of coffee for my apartment, eating toasted sesame bagels with cream cheese, or a mozzarella, tomato and basil panini. I loved that place. It was super spacious and cozy, with tall splotchy yellow walls, local art, large windows, and a few dozen tiny two-tops.

Amherst Coffee was always {in my opinion} a little more snoody and snobbish. It was a little more expensive and the people who went there were older, grad students and Amherst kids. It was also smaller, but still just has charming as my lovely and luxurious Rao's.

This post isn't a rant about coffeeshops in Amherst {directly...}, but rather a toast to the authentic, creative and unique coffeeshops that are out there, and that are desperately missing in Northern Virginia. Starbucks has inevitably taken over, and while I can agree that the recent makeover they've given the Starbucks that is roughly less than a mile from my house is a bit more cozy and warm, I'm still on the high hunt for a coffeeshop that could possibly compare to my precious Rao's. So far, I've only found Northside Social in Arlington.

And they don't have bagels.



I also created a video with some tunage for a Digital Photo class I was taking.
Music by Nouvelle Vague.


2 comments:

  1. awesome photos! i love spending time in the coffee shop, it puts me in such a good mood. hehe cool blog...definitely coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, I love how fearless you are behind the camera. I think it takes a lot to be able to walk around and capture people without feeling creepy and out of your element. I appreciate your knack for doing this. And it seems to give your photos more personality than poses do.

    What I'm trying to say is: great job. I hope one day I'll get over my fear of being behind the camera taking photos of strangers.

    ReplyDelete